How To Vote

When is voting day?

For the open Arkansas primaries, voting day is Tuesday, May 22, 2018. To vote in either primary, you simply just have to request a Democrat or Republican ballot. Whichever ballot you request, your political party registration does not change. Paul will be on the ballot in the Democratic primary!

For the open Arkansas primaries, early voting will start on Monday, May 7, 2018 and last until Monday, May 21, 2018. In most counties of the Second District, you can early vote at your counties courthouse. See all the locations for early voting at the Arkansas Secretary of State's website, here.

The general election will be on Tuesday, November 6, 2018. There will not be ballots according to party as in the primary!

When do I need to register to be able to vote?

You must register to vote at least 30 days before the election in which you are voting.

This means to be eligible to vote in this year’s May 22 open Democrat or Republican primary, you must send in your registration by April 23. 

If you need to register to vote, check out this page of our website

Can I vote in the Second District?

The Second Congressional District in Arkansas covers, Pulaski County, Saline County, Faulkner County, White County, Conway County, Van Buren County, and Perry County. 

If you are not sure which county you live in, check your voter location status and polling location here!

I think I’m registered to vote, but I’m not sure. How do I check that?

You can check your registration status with the Arkansas Secretary of State here.

If you need to register to vote, check out this page of our website

Can I register to vote online?

No, you must submit a physical copy but you can print off your registration form here, or you can request a form by mail here.

Do I have to be a registered member of a party to vote in that party’s primary?

No. Arkansas has open primaries, meaning any registered voter can vote in any party’s primary election. However, you must vote on the entire slate of candidates in a given primary. So for instance, if you vote in the Democratic primary for a congressional seat, you must also vote in the Democratic primary for Governor, Secretary of State, etc.

What if I am not on the list at the polling place?

Confirm with the poll worker that you’re at the right polling place. They will ask for your address and date of birth to verify with the county clerk that you’re a registered voter in that precinct. If you’re at the right polling place but the worker cannot confirm your information, request and fill out a provisional ballot.

What if someone challenges my right to vote?

Assert your right if someone tries to block you from voting. If you cannot persuade the poll workers to accept your vote and you are voting early, you can leave and seek assistance or cast a provisional ballot.

If it is Election Day, you can seek help and/or cast a provisional ballot. Election officials will rule on your ballot and determine whether to count your vote. To find more legal help, go to ACLU of Arkansas.

If I am a student from out of state, can I vote in this election?

Yes. As a student, you can register to vote with whatever address you consider your primary legal address. So, if you are attending college in the Second District, you may register to vote here using your address here.

However, since you cannot be registered in two different districts, doing so will mean you cannot vote in your home district.

Can I vote if I am a felon?

Yes. If you are a felon, you are eligible to have your voting rights restored once you have served your time and can provide proof that you have satisfied all of your parole requirements and paid any necessary fees. You can find the full description of how to regain your voting rights as felon here.

Do I need to show ID to be able to vote?

Yes. When you arrive at your polling place, Arkansas poll workers will be required to request that you present a photo ID card. This ID must show your name and photo, and must be issued by either the state or federal government. A free voter verification card is available through the Secretary of State’s office or your county clerk for any voter who does not have another ID valid for voting. The ID card must not be expired for more than four (4) years on election day.

IDs that meet the requirements include a driver’s license, a photo identification card, a concealed carry handgun permit, a U.S. Passport, a student ID or employee badge from an accredited postsecondary institution, a military ID, a voter verification card, or a public assistance ID that shows a photo of the cardholder.

This law is controversial and could impact voting rights of individuals without a valid ID. It is current under litigation and could be reverse or changed before the primary election on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 or the general election on Tuesday, November 6, 2018. 

To read more about the lawsuit, visit KUAR's story here. If you have any questions about the voter ID law, please call our campaign office at 501-372-7285.